Sunday, July 23, 2017

In the High Peaks of the Adirondacks, nestled between two mountains, Round and Giant, there lies a small glacier-made body of water known as Chapel Pond. It’s easy to find, being right on the road that leads into Keene Valley, but once there one can look up at sheer mountain cliffs and experience the beauty and majesty of the Adirondacks, as well as get a great swim in before dinner. It’s a place I love to paint for many reasons, the light especially. I like to go out at dawn to watch (and paint) the sunlight descending slowly down the mountainside like fiery curtain. You get a sense of peace there even when the beach is full of families wading and swimming in the cold, cold water. It really can feel like a Chapel (especially if you are quiet!).   Most of my paintings this year focus on Chapel Pond and my woodland discoveries around it.  I paint places that give me peace, quiet places that make me forget I live in the city. I hope my paintings convey that for you, as well.  I’ll be showing these pieces as well as paintings of Keene Valley in August at Martha Corscaden’s Art Barn Gallery.  You’ll find her sign on the old iron bridge on the way into Keene Valley. You can’t miss it. It’s just past Chapel Pond.         


No comments: